Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Kayak Review....NuCanoe Pursuit

                         

        
   So I had spent some time paddling and uuhmm not paddling the NuCanoe Frontier 12. I loved the open deck layout and the stability of that boat! It was the perfect fishing platform....until it came to getting from point A to point B. Put a trolling motor on it and it was indeed a great boat! I do prefer to leave the motor at home along with all of the headaches and backaches that can come with it.
   When I first saw the prototype Pursuit I was excited to say the least! This could be the perfect boat for me. It took a bit of persuading but I convinced Rick Wallace over at Angler's Pro Tackle to let me take one of the three he had in stock out for a paddle and added to the demo fleet.
   My first impressions of the boat after only looking at the layout were very optimistic. This thing had all that you needed but nothing in the way. It is simple but loaded with features, if that makes any sense at all! The one thing that seemed useless at first sight was the paddle holders on either side. Sitting on the showroom floor, they just didn't look as though they would have much function. I could see a paddle falling out of them and having to retrieve it in the middle of trying to land the big fish of the day...
   The first thing I noticed on the water was the wobble when I climbed in the boat. I didn't expect this for such a wide boat and after being in the Frontier that has none. I quickly adjusted and it was no concern after only a few minutes on the water. The next thing I noticed was the comfort of the seat. It was very nice to say the least but I think it is becoming to be expected with most of the newer kayaks that are designed with fishing in mind. It was easy to move from low to high position while on the water. I guess that brings us in to stability. This boat is very stable. I have been in more stable boats but they were barges to paddle compared to the Pursuit. I am 6'3" 260lbs and was completely comfortable standing to fish and accessing the front hatch of the boat. The front hatch has a plastic tub in it that is molded to shape for a good fit in the front hatch. I can see this being very handy in cooler months to keep drinks or fish. Other storage features on the boat are the horizontal rod holders. These are very handy although I do not see putting two rods in each side as it is designed for. You can get them in there to store but I had issues getting one out while another was stored on the same side of the boat. I will probably only store one rod in each side while on the water. This is still more then most boats offer. The two flush mount rod holders are absolutely perfect! They are angled so that your rods lean slightly towards the center of the boat rather then away from the boat. This keeps them from getting snagged as easily in tree limbs and such. The freedom track that runs basically the length of the boat on each side, the rear tank well storage and the storage towards the bow of the boat that will fit a crate or small cooler are all well thought out. I could go on but this was intended to be a short review and has turned into anything but!
   In short, the Pursuit paddles fairly well. I would give hull speed a 3 out of 5 and stability a 4 out of 5. Maneuverability gets a 4 out of 5 as this boat is very easy to turn. The most important thing I grade on is fishability and the Pursuit gets 5 out 5 for me!

 
.......Oh...and those paddle holders....held a paddle like a champ!


No comments:

Post a Comment